Click here to edit title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > David Warner Films > So Bad It's Good...So Bad It's Bad...

Twink
Limited Member

Not sure how often this has been gone through here, but watching a DW film the other night got me wanting to hear other's thoughts on this: When is a bad movie so bad it's good, and when is a bad movie so bad they want...burning?

I think Vincent Price often talked about doing films simply to get the check, both kind that can be just benign things that never resurface, or ones that end up haunting your late night TV. He said he once started watching an old film one night and thought it was horrible, but not as horrible as unexpectedly seeing himself walk in!

Having seen close to 100 of Mr. Warner's roles so far, and all fans here know, ugh...there are some that just leave you without words. Yet, I think you can also enjoy a really GOOD bad film or TV show, it just depends on the level of cheese. Ones that I've actually liked for the sheer over the top qualities and silliness are "Wild Palms," "Airport 79'," "Wing Commander," "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," (of course, that was a kids comedy, but I think it's too goofy to be that serious about it's quality, just like "The Last Leprechaun," "Beastmasters" "My Best Friend Is A Vampire," and any others like them.)

Oh, "Quest of The Delta Knights" has a special place because of the American 90s' show, "Mystery Science Theater: 3000!" Kind of what I'm talking about: they took this movie (among others) and just made fun of it. It changed the way you saw it and you finished having had really enjoyed it! If anyone with a quirky sense of humor hasn't seen it, I suggest looking on YT for the episode.

Then there are...the bad ones.

I try and watch Warner's movies as much as I can at a time, but sometimes it's all I can do to not fast-forward whenever he's not in a scene. "The Island," I doubt too many people would argue with that. I only saw it once but I hated his episode of "Perversions Of Science." Then I just...no, I would not get though "Naked Souls" with Pam Anderson. (I think I was scarred just by the mere thought of Warner having taken the role!) "The Ice Cream Man," and, yes, "Drive." I even tried to write a review on that for a blog, but the spirit just wasn't willing to sit through it all. (That and living in a heatwave at the time, would have broken me I'm sure.) I get that "Drive" actually might have some interesting points (and Warner really is good in it, I think) but it just eats you away with the monotony!

Anyway, that was a long  way of asking anyone here what they think are DW films or shows that are bad in a good way and then just bad. Any thoughts?

--

"he makes my heart a cinemascope screen, showing a dancing bird of paradise."

March 13, 2014 at 3:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Twink
Limited Member

Thinking a bit, "Perversions Of Science" might be worth at least a laugh at the end. God! :|

--

March 13, 2014 at 3:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Susan
Limited Member

I'm pretty sure I saw it but can't remember "Perversions of Science." One of the few things he'd done up till then that I didn't manage to record on VHS! (Still have them all too.) For the most part, the bad ones are all pretty bad, but the best bad ones are the ones that David Warner at least has a lot of screen time ... with the possible exception of "Loving Deadly"--possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen, and he has TWO roles in it!

Speaking of two roles, "Quest of the Delta Knights" might fall into the category of "so bad it's good," only because David Warner had so much screen time. The MST3K version was great, but have you compared it to the original? I thought David Warner was genuinely funny as the evil Vultare, and they cut some of his lines because "Look, it's a giant ground crow" couldn't compete with his delivery.

Even "Naked Souls," as horrible as it was, wasn't as bad as "Loving Deadly," which NOTHING could save.

On the other hand, I thought "Drive," if you can force yourself to sit through it, was actually pretty good! It was tedious, but you have to give kudos to David Warner for all that talking he did throughout the entire movie. My favorite parts were when he was talking about computers (totally outdated conversation today; even the irony of him as "Evil" in "Time Bandits" talking about how he was going to use computers to take over the world--and now our favorite real-life Internetphobe actually has an official website--I don't know how you guys talked him into it, but I never thought I'd see the day!) ... plus him playing football and doing a Fred Flintstone impersonation! "Drive" is kind of hard to watch, but it was worth it in the end. (If you think it was hard to watch, imagine how hard it was for him to play--he pretty much was the entire movie!)

--

"I've gone all furry!"

November 22, 2014 at 10:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Susan
Limited Member

Just found one of my favorite DW lines from Quest of the Delta Knights that MST3K cut out: "Doesn't she know who she's meddling with? The Panther of the Pyrenees, the Scourge of Iberia." (It was all in the delivery.) Also hilarious: when (spoiler alert!) he accidentally zaps one of his minions into screaming oblivion and then says, "Oh, be quiet"--because it was reminiscent of that scene in Time Bandits where he accidentally zaps one of his minions into screaming oblivion and then says, "Sorry." I honestly laughed so hard at that when I first saw it in the theater I had tears streaming down my face. (Possibly the hardest I ever laughed in a movie theater in a non-Monty Python film. The same thing happened during The Life of Brian when the aliens took Brian on that wild ride through space. And I actually fell off my seat by the end of the Mr. Creosote-in-the-restaurant scene in The Meaning of Life!) Anyway, I noticed the MST3K guys didn't make fun of him at all except for the "giant ground crow" remark, which really says something about David Warner being the best thing about the worst movies! (The really REALLY bad ones are the ones where he only has like a two-minute cameo and you have to sit through two unbearable hours just to see him. Money Talks comes to mind ... And The Unnameable II, which should have been subtitled, The Unwatchable!)

PS: You know, I just remembered something about Vincent Price. I think I read somewhere a long time ago that David Warner was a fan of Vincent Price! Anybody know for sure?

--

"I've gone all furry!"

November 23, 2014 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Twink
Limited Member

I have not seen "Loving Deadly," but now I'm worried I will! lool! No, kidding. I'd see, well, just about anything for David Warner! Hell, I have!

I actually haven't seen the uncut version of "The Delta Knights" either. Maybe I should now. I also realized what you did, that the MST guys were really easy, well, almost NICE to Warner. ("Just doing this for the money, folks!" or something like that when he came on screen.) He certainly had to have been the best part of it and easily, considering the kind of things the writers had to endure, a respite from the crap. 

It's true! Warner really hold "Drive" together, for what it's worth. And I'm not saying the film was worthless. It was an interesting idea that was badly put together. And I watched it the first time when I was in the middle of a summer heavwave. I think it just hurt that much more. Stingy you know? Oh god...the computer talk!! (I wonder what he thought of those lines? As Warner has talked about his lack of understanding Sci Fi or tec jargon, I wonder if that wasn't "Tron" all over again?) But he was good and some of his deliveries I had to see more than once. The football scene and dialoge over it got me, too. And I know there's more I'm not wanting to rememeber.

I saw a person ask him, at the Antwerp Con, about "The Island" (maybe too bad to be good-bad?) and Warner's reaction was perfect! I wonder, though, what he'd say (or what he hasn't blocked out, that he could say,) about "Drive?" Hint....anybody reading this who might at some point see Warner at a Con in the future...;)

I know Warner said he thought a lot of Vincent Price and met him at least once. Said he was very charming and they talked about anything but movies! lol! I know Price was very keen on art, and must have liked when anyone who knew him as an actor was willing to let that side of him go. But it's a shame they never worked together. Can't count "Faerie Tale Theater." 

--

November 27, 2014 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Susan
Limited Member

Hey, Twink, did you ever get to see Loving, Deadly? It's so bad that it's bad, but ... yeah, David Warner had two role so ... maybe I should watch it again, just skip to the DW scenes, and pretend it's a comedy. I actually felt compelled after seeing it to write a review, if you're interested. Hope it doesn't contain any spoilers, but it's pretty hard to spoil a rotten movie, lol:

It's either a bad, bad rip-off of Natural Born Killers or a bad, bad parody of it, with its ridiculous script, self-conscious camera work, plot-derailing sex scenes filmed like artsy music videos, graphic yet phony-looking slow-motion violence that seems more like a poor imitation of Monty Python's Peckinpah parody "Salad Days," a horrible soundtrack, horrible acting ... it's virtually unwatchable—yet it's a must-see for hardcore DW fans since he has a dual role as twins—one good and one (surprise!) evil. He even gets top billing for a change although the main characters are a pair of young outlaws-in-love on the run from him and the other bad guys. DW greatly improves the quality of the film whenever he's on screen, but that's, unfortunately, not often enough, even with two roles. Overcoming the atrocious directing, he displays flashes of acting brilliance as the "evil" twin, but his thankfully brief turn as his own insufferably saintlike brother (you can always recognize the good twin by the Bible under his arm!) fails to rise above the mire. Absolutely the worst movie I've ever seen!

And, yeah, maybe playing all those evil computer geniuses is what scared him away. Although computers (in particular the Internet) have gotten a lot more scary that it used to be too. I'm such a Luddite, I won't even get a "smart" phone. Or "smart" anything. If only we could still just party like it's 1999 instead of worrying about being hacked and spied on! (I bet he's glad to be back in England.)

What was his reaction to The Island? I had really mixed feelings about that. I mean, I loved the book, which was really well written and researched and plausible, cuz I'm totally into the pirate thing and couldn't wait for the movie to come out at the time, imagining how awesome David was going to be as Nau, but ... I just can't figure out what happened during the translation from book to film--and can't believe that the author of the book (Peter Benchley, of Jaws fame!) actually worked on the screenplay???! (BTW, I have the movie one-sheet hanging on my wall in a frame! Hey, at least the poster matched the cool book cover!)

Yes, I will admit that trying to pay attention all the way through Drive gave me a headache; it took me three attempts. (And if it was that hard for us to sit through, imagine what a workout he got making the movie! And having to wear that hideous plaid jacket! LOL.) I just interpreted it as an "art film." They're not supposed to make sense, right? ;) But then, in the end, it actually kind of did. (I did a review of that one too, back when I was actively collecting his movies; I don't have the time or money anymore, alas; he keeps churning out work so fast! And much better nowadays, it seems, which is unfortunate, since it's harder for me to get, being over here in the States. Anyway, darn these computers, taking up all our free time!) I actually wrote down a couple of my favorite lines from the movie too:

"Death is merely the chemically delayed realization in time of the falseness of life."

"Being with someone else makes me lonely."

"I'm not an anything-ist; I just drive."

And my favorite, of course:

"I'm the handsomest man driving the streets of Hollywood." :D

--

"I've gone all furry!"

February 12, 2015 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

Hey guys! 'The Island'. Michael Caine calls the pirates, "A bunch of assholes playing Long John f***ing Silver." That should have been the tagline for the whole movie. And to get people watching, "Starring shirtless David Warner wearing buccaneer boots and a ponytail and saying words like 'thrust'."

While we're at it, Work Is A Four Letter Word. "It will be steamy, won't it?" 

Yes, Mr. Warner. Steamy enough to melt the polar ice caps. 

April 8, 2018 at 7:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.