Click here to edit title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Blue Borsalino & Recent work

Tim
Limited Member

Ok, where to start?

First of all, having seen the interview highlighted on the site's home page, I thought that it was brilliant that Mr. Warner would give of himself to projects such as this.  Truely a great, great gift to aspiring film makers, both on the recieving end of David's experience and knowledge and the publicity gained through his inclusion.

It is easy to pick and point at any piece of work, and while it is the role of the director that is my greatest interest, I will try to avoid going off the topic of David's place in the film.

The acting was generally good throughout by all involved to be honest, which was a good job because of the inadequate nature of the script.  David fitted the part reasonably well, but as convincing as he may have been, it is all undermined by wardrobe choices.  Namely a dark blue trilby.  

While the film is called Blue Borsalino, after the hat ( Borsalino being the Italian brand of its manufacture.  Incidentally, while named after its founder, the name literally means Linen bag, Borsa = Bag  & Lino = Linen ), it clashes so terribly with the David's coat and looks so new, it is difficult to see the character as truely credible.

I must get back to my cleaning, time flies.

February 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Tim at February 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM

Ok, where to start?

First of all, having seen the interview highlighted on the site's home page, I thought that it was brilliant that Mr. Warner would give of himself to projects such as this.  Truely a great, great gift to aspiring film makers, both on the recieving end of David's experience and knowledge and the publicity gained through his inclusion.

It is easy to pick and point at any piece of work, and while it is the role of the director that is my greatest interest, I will try to avoid going off the topic of David's place in the film.

The acting was generally good throughout by all involved to be honest, which was a good job because of the inadequate nature of the script.  David fitted the part reasonably well, but as convincing as he may have been, it is all undermined by wardrobe choices.  Namely a dark blue trilby.  

While the film is called Blue Borsalino, after the hat ( Borsalino being the Italian brand of its manufacture.  Incidentally, while named after its founder, the name literally means Linen bag, Borsa = Bag  & Lino = Linen ), it clashes so terribly with the David's coat and looks so new, it is difficult to see the character as truely credible.

I must get back to my cleaning, time flies.

......That said, the short film has a likeable plot, is nicely filmed and easy to watch.  I watched it several times over a brief period and had no problem in doing so, despite some cringe-worthy moments.  Some of these were according to my personal preferences and a few were, for want of better words, "worts on the backside of the piece".  I am not trying to knock the film or the filmmaker in any way, the presures of managing a shoot under the circumstances must have been far from easy on every level.  In an interview I read in which Mr. Warner discusses working with James Cameron on Titanic, he mentions that he was required "on set" at all times so that James could have the comfort of greater flexability while shooting the movie.  I am sure that such a comfort could not be enjoyed by the director of Blue Borsalino.    

February 6, 2018 at 3:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.