Click here to edit title

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > A Christmas Carol

Gene
Limited Member

I have heard the cliche, "Everyone wants to play "Hamlet".  But in watching so many films over the years, I have concluded that everyone wants to play Ebenezer Scrooge.  In addition everyone always seems to overlook the importance of supporting roles. Two in this film are the nephew Fred and Bob Cratchit.

In my opinion the greatest "Bob Cratchit" in film history has to be David Warner.  He is now the perfect age to play the leading role of Scrooge.  Someone needs to get the lead out and start a production.  He is probably the best candidate that can give the late Alister Sim a real competition.

August 23, 2012 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Stu Green
Site Owner

Welcome Gene, great idea for a new version, who knows all down to to a production company to decide like you say, you never know though.

August 23, 2012 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela
Limited Member

Oh yes! That would be a great idea!!! Would love to see David playing that role!!!!

--

August 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gene
Limited Member

Then we need to start people thinking and talking.  David Warner as Scrooge?  With a solid supporting cast, it would make a terrific film!

August 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michaela
Limited Member
Absolutely!!!! :-)
--

August 25, 2012 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Just made a post without seeing this. 

Watching him in a film last night and having recently studied the book and character as I am working on an amatuer film project based on a Christmas Carol, I saw qualities in David that convince me there could be no better casting.

David would I believe, give the ultimate portayal of Scrooge.  He could make the emotional journey of the character more convincing than I feel anyone else has.  David would be Dickens' choice if he was about today and looking for someone for the role.  

January 8, 2018 at 8:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

Tim at January 8, 2018 at 8:36 AM

Just made a post without seeing this. 

Watching him in a film last night and having recently studied the book and character as I am working on an amatuer film project based on a Christmas Carol, I saw qualities in David that convince me there could be no better casting.

David would I believe, give the ultimate portayal of Scrooge.  He could make the emotional journey of the character more convincing than I feel anyone else has.  David would be Dickens' choice if he was about today and looking for someone for the role.  

Hi Tim, 

Your project sounds fresh and exciting. I'm in agreement with everyone here that Mr. Warner would be the perfect Scrooge. There are still so many roles out there waiting for him. 

Right now my two favourite characters of his are Dennis Charles Nipple from 'Little Malcolm and his Struggle Against the Eunuchs' (John Hurt stars, all performances are electrifying) and Jack the Ripper in Time After Time, a part I wish had been bigger. He was the perfect antidote to so-very-cute HG and Amy. As dearly as I loved watching Malcolm and Mary actually falling in love, it was the Ripper who had me completely spellbound and simultaneously charmed/terrified. The ultimate conundrum for a lady, to fall in love with a man who would most certainly rend them from top to bottom. (Steady... :P ;)

But back to Scrooge. Is it within your powers to get Mr. Warner on board with your project? A man with his natural born genius would have us laughing, crying and on their feet with applause when Ebeneezer finally changes his ways. I adored Mr. Warner as Cratchit. His rare on-screen smile is a joy to behold. I watch that bit over and over, when Scrooge says, "Therefore.... therefore, I am going to......... DOUBLE your salary!" and throws the bag of coins at Bob, who can't believe his ears. George C. Scott's British accent is flawless, btw.

The forum is quiet these days and the front page hasn't been updated from the November con but I'm sure we can jump start it again, what say you. :D

January 9, 2018 at 6:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Hi Juliette,

I must admit and hear me out please, that I have never really been a David Warner fan.  I am not drawn to follow the work of any particular actor in fact.  I am by far, more interested in and inclined to follow the work of directors above that of actors.  My very recent interest in David as an actor, is purely due to what I have written in connection with him here.

If I had the power, talent, finances and acumen to produce a film in which David would play Scrooge (providing it was a role he would be interested in playing in the first place) I would feel quite smug in being the person behind one of the most inspired castings, albeit an obvious one, in cinematic history.

As I had mentioned previously, it was only because I have been studying the character of Scrooge, that I recognised David as being ideal for the part.  I was watching at the time an episode of Marple from 2004, in which David plays a smallish part.  His character Luther Crackenthorpe bares little resemblance to Scrooge visually or otherwise, but he exudes a quality that tells you he is far more than the words written in a script.  His performances seem very real,  his characters having great depth and underlaying issues.  It was only later when I looked up Mr W on the internet , that I felt the world will be robbed if it should never materialize. 

Personally, I  don't think that David was the ideal casting as Cratchit, saying this, he does, as in everything, manage to give us a peformance in which his character's history is clearly dicernable from reading his face alone.  Like you, I find that face on recognizing his bosses earnesty to raise his wage etc. one of the films great moments.  It was a great Cratchit but not Dickens' Cratchit.  The same goes for Scott in the lead role.

Sadly, I feel that Dickens' much loved story will not realize its greatest expression anytime soon, as it is percieved as somewhat hackneyed.  The story being so well known, that the point is lost in our being overly familiar with it.  All that is left for the viewer is, how does this version measure-up against those that preceeded it?  In many ways, the "Carol" as a film, has suffered due to a nurtured perception, of what we expect from the story, based on that we have seen before.  They really need to go back to the book, get away from the chocolate box and family friendly approach, and make a film worthy of the "Hammer blow" that Dickens' intended.                                                

Unfortunately, the elements need to come together, as great actors can be sadly let down by bad directors or just the wrong director.

Getting back to the point, I cannot think of anyone else who would be capable of delivering a more convincing Scrooge than Mr. Warner.  Having seen the (fairly) recent interview with David which brought me to this site in the first place, David says that he is willing to give himself to the right projects.  It would be the greatest irony, if David and I am sure he would, replace Alister Simm who is generally accepted as quintessentially the best scrooge, as a result of his own benevolence.

January 10, 2018 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

'If I had the power, talent, finances and acumen to produce a film in which David would play Scrooge (providing it was a role he would be interested in playing in the first place) I would feel quite smug in being the person behind one of the most inspired castings, albeit an obvious one, in cinematic history.'

And you would be fully justified. 

Never has there been an actor of Mr. Warner's calibre who has managed to stay so completely below the radar. I have read that he is a very shy and private man and probably likes it that way. On my travels around the internet I have noticed that people quote his lines in everything from Time Bandits to Batman: The Animated Series to John Irenicus in Baldur's Gate II (video game.) I've never seen a bad word said about him, most people lament, just like I do, that he isn't more well-known. But then perhaps that would ruin his 'mystique', and that smug feeling you mentioned when one discovers a rare gem and wants to keep it all to oneself. 

Mr. Warner had his defining moment in the 60s when he played Hamlet and apparently had young women mobbing the stage door. Then he developed stage fright (I've read this in various online articles) which lasted for nigh on thirty years. He went to live in the States during the late 70s and 80s and that's possibly one reason why he dropped off the British film industry radar, not to mention he had stopped doing stage work. 

I find him compelling to watch in anything he does. Names like David Warner, Gene Hackman, John Hurt, Anthony Hopkins, capable of playing lead and supporting roles with equal dexterity, they are not demanding or snobby and they are always worth watching even if the overall picture is not. 

Mr. Warner can convey emotion (or lack of) with the subtlest of expression. His eyes are mesmerising. Pale blue, high set and wolfish, with the right lighting they can be benign or terrifying. There's something melancholy about him, which makes being a David Warner fan feel rather bittersweet and wistful at times. I mean, he seems to die in nearly everything he's in, even when he's a good guy! (See: Keith Jennings, The Omen, how unfair was that!!) 

Would that we could fulfill all our hopes and dreams and see Mr. Warner bookend his career with a couple of outstanding performances, Hamlet and.... Ebeneezer Scrooge? But as you say, we are all so familiar with the tale that we'd all be squabbling over who was the best Scrooge. This is why we can't have nice things. 

Someone else mentioned on here that it would be nice to see Mr. Warner play 'normal' people now that he's a senior citizen. Gentle, humourous, realistic characters. I'd like that too. He's such a lovely, sweet, gentle man in real life. I have never met him but it's plainly obvious from seeing his Convention panels and interviews that he cares deeply about other people and doesn't want to be remembered as just a villain. I think it was the role of Jack the Ripper that started him getting the villainous roles, because he was just so bloody GOOD at it. How can such a gentle man turn so ruthless and cold in the blink of an eye. It's acting genius.I can only imagine he is a director's dream. 

I'm neither an actor nor a director but I imagine the best working relationships come from both sides understanding the other. Like symbiosis. Ultimately it isn't about fame or kudos or awards, it's about honing and fine tuning a product that people want. It seems to me that the art of storytelling has been buried under CGI and superhero franchises but I could be wrong. I prefer older films these days. The 70s was a good decade for exploratory cinema. 

Alistair Sim and David Warner, I think they'd be my joint favourites as Scrooge. Alistair Sim's face makes me want to cry for some reason, big old softy that I am. 

January 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Ah! Favorites and Best.  Best is a very subjective thing and can be interpreted in so many different ways. While I  understand, that Mr Sim will no doubt always occupy a special place in peoples hearts and it is not ill founded, he was a great Scrooge,  David would re-set the bar and bring the character to life in a way that only others have touched on.  Probably not likely to be a "favorite", but I am sure he would be the "best".
I have attached a photo, that I have tinkered with a little, hopefully, it will have uploaded successfully. A little experiment and a lame excuse if ever there was one of "shouting from the roof-tops".

You are very right about modern films and CGI, the art of storytelling etc. I couldn't agree more.  It does seem that the focus nowadays, is on specticle and not the cerebral.  The potential of what can be achieved visually, is dictating the way many are approaching the craft and not for the better.

I feel quite encouraged after reading a few comments on this site, yours among them, to track down "Time After Time".  I had a look on the web today and ended up watching a reunion interview from 2013. 
Absolutely brilliant, very funny.  Quite a contrast to watching David play Captain Sawyer in Hornblower, which I saw again a couple of months ago.  I have never known a performance, by any actor, that has given me goosebumps and continued to haunt me after the film is over as he does here.  "Bloody GOOD at it" you say, the very words I would have used myself.

It has been really nice to talk to you.  Have a great year you big softy.
January 11, 2018 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Goodness me! 

I spend hours photoshopping a picture of David for a "squeek." 

Bah! Humbug

January 11, 2018 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

I can't even seem to upload a profile picture, good luck with trying to attach a photo! I am sure it was lovely and well worth all the hours you spent on it. *Pats you sympathetically on the back*

I bought Time After Time from eBay. It isn't a brilliant copy although it was in a sealed casing. It is a film well worth watching. All three lead actors work beautifully together. I've seen that TAT panel too, where David and Malcolm tease each other over Malcolm's pursuit of Mary. Knowing that Malcolm and Mary were actually falling in love makes the film even more delightful. Mary has said in interviews that every time the director said 'cut', David would take the knife away from her throat and say, "Sorry, love, sorry, I didn't hurt you did I?" and Mary would say, "David, stop apologising. How can I be terrified of you if you keep saying sorry?" 

Alistair Sim is my favourite Scrooge. But David, with his long face and shadowed eyes would really be something as he transforms from a stingy old git into a benevolent, loving grandfather figure to the whole town. I'd pay to see it. (As opposed to slinking around YouTube). 

Have you seen his short film 'The Wizard'? Merlin working in a Croydon call centre. It's just 3 minutes and twenty two seconds long but there is so much in it. It's sort of like The Office in its mockumentary setting. 

"Merlin! They say you were bound for all time in the ice in the heart of the mountain!"

"I was." 

Please, also, if you're in the film business, get yourself a copy of 'Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs'. It was the first film ever financed by George Harrison. Unfortunately it was seized as part of the assets of Apple Corps and was impounded for years and years. Which is why it isn't well known. It stars John Hurt, David Warner, John McEnery and Rosalind Ayres. It's like the best of Mike Leigh only it's directed by Stuart Cooper. Amazon has it as a dual disc set, DEV and Blu-Ray, for about eleven quid. 

I could sit here and talk about David Warner forever. They'd have to drag me off with a shepherd's crook round me neck. I'm just so happy he exists, even if being his fan makes me feel discombobulated because there's so much depth in even the smallest of his performances that he strikes every nerve, stirs up every emotion at once. He is a genius, just as his friend Malcolm McDowell said. And the best kind of genius is a humble genius who legitimately does not know how special he is. 

Right, I'm off to watch The Omen! (Always stop just before David loses his head and then pretend he survived and Robert Thorn went home and stuck those daggers right where they belonged, up the Antichrist's...

*elevator music plays*

January 12, 2018 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

That should be 'Wizard', not The Wizard, and DVD and Blu-Ray. 

January 12, 2018 at 9:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Watched Wizard and will no doubt watch everything that you have recommended, such  is my insanity.  Balance is not my forte.  I got into supporting Liverpool football team once, no really, and I don't even like football. 

But hey! and my excuse for writing again, if you right click (I am really excited about this,as it has taken me twenty years or so to find out) on the white icon? square thing at the beginning of my last post, it brings up a short menu which has the option of OPENNING IN A NEW TAB.  If you then click on the box that appears right at the top of the screen, it will show a larger version of my profile picture, David as Scrooge.  From Penny Dreadful the picture did not need much manipulation.  David's image and acting style has given me plenty of food for thought on how I will shape the character for my own project. 

Inserting a profile picture is easily done by entering the EDIT MY PROFILE option where you log-on on the home page.  Then BROWES and UPLOAD then SUBMIT at the bottom of the page.

Bugger, got me thing about the Omen now, you and your proselytizing.

"Boing" said Zebedee.

January 12, 2018 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

I'll get my whine out of the way first. My browser doesn't give me the option to upload a profile pic. I can see where I'm supposed to click 'upload' but there's no upload button. Oh well, just pretend I look like Brigitte Bardot. An old lady covered in cat hair.

So the hours weren't wasted, and that is a beautiful rendering of David as Scrooge. Doesn't he look the part!? Like a bitter old man bereft of goodwill, faced with the three ghosts, he would simply nail that role. I hope he gets the chance one day. Great work, Tim. 

Another thing that's amusing is that David was on the Titanic twice. The first time, as Lawrence Beesley in S.O.S Titanic, he survived. Yay! The second time, as Spicer Lovejoy in James Cameron's Titanic, he died. Boo! That's another role I wish had been bigger and more fleshed out. But he knocked what little screen time he had out of the park anyway. (Convoluted sentences R Us.)

Don't you think that David (look at me using his first name like I know him) is a bit of a chameleon? He just seems to effortlessly slot into whoever he's playing. This man goes from Reinhard Heydrich to Jack the Ripper to Dr. Necessiter (The Man With Two Brains) to the computer program Sark in Tron, to Evil in Time Bandits to Pomponius Falco in Masada (with the legendary Peter O'Toole). I suppose that's why he doesn't get recognised so much in the street because he's never the same person twice. There was an interview where he said that if he doesn't feel like talking he tells people he works in a bank! God love him. He's precious. (And, as a woman I won't tell you what else I think he is but you can guess. 'Precious'--- I'll bet he was, back in the day!)

Sorry. The moon is waning. I get excited. 

January 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Hi,

Criptic is us. Do you fancy talking about something blue? Or

What would be best reprisented by this colour?

time to jump thread

January 20, 2018 at 6:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

There are times, when having the last word feels particularly uncomfortable.  Especially so, is it when that "last word" could be seen as head- scratchingly awkward or even embarracing.  

To try to clear things up, the BLUE refers to the short film Blue Borsalino and the PALE BLUE FONT to Mary Poppins.

February 1, 2018 at 4:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

Tim at February 1, 2018 at 4:26 AM

There are times, when having the last word feels particularly uncomfortable.  Especially so, is it when that "last word" could be seen as head- scratchingly awkward or even embarracing.  

To try to clear things up, the BLUE refers to the short film Blue Borsalino and the PALE BLUE FONT to Mary Poppins.

*Sticks head over the parapet* So it's safe to come out now??

I thought you were offering to talk about something 'blue'... and I thought my silliness in my previous post had brought it on... wires got crossed methinks but no harm done! I have got Blue Borsalino bookmarked but have not watched it all the way through. I'd also like to find the full version of Albert's Memorial, with DW and David Jason, it looks good. 

I wonder what's happened to the guy who runs this website? Home page has not been changed since last year. I hope everything's all right. 

Didn't realise we could change font colours though. Let's have a go.... 

Size too!

February 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tim
Limited Member

Font, size and colour, athough font style is somewhat limited.

Sorry about the Miss Understanding, I do often fall prey to the missapprehension that others will understand what I am blabbing on about.  I thought soon after I wrote it, that it could be read differently. 

I remember having watched Albert's Memorial several years back, I can't recall much about it though, other than the vague impression of having enjoyed it. 

It took me a short while to suss the site format change.  How to access the forum etc... but I think "me ole brain" has got to grips with it now.  But an update is an update and what is this? A new clip on the home page. 

February 7, 2018 at 4:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jules
Limited Member

Yes! Fantastic to see updates. And don't worry, misunderstandings are my forte too. I think that's why emojis were created, to show facial expressions as though you are talking in person. I am old school and actually remember face to face discussions! *grabs zimmer frame, hobbles to kitchen for a choccy digestive*

The 1978 mini series 'Holocaust' is on YouTube, with David Warner playing Heydrich. (Not sure how much I should mention YouTube as I don't want stuff to disappear off it.) 

And I am still in love with his character Dennis Charles Nipple from Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs.  

"I can always tell when a woman's ready to go. Matter of intuition."

"You ought to be grateful. Who else would go to the trouble of killing you?"

February 15, 2018 at 8:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.